Thursday, January 13, 2011

18 month check-up (20 months old)

After Henry turned one, I never was able to get to the doctor when the actual check-up was suppose to occur. I was usually a good month behind, but this time, I was two months. Partially my fault and also partially the doctors - it's hard to get an appointment with Dr. P - the world's most popular pediatrician. No one made a ruckus about it, so I assume it's OK - and probably pretty normal (or so I tell myself).

We ventured to the doctor yesterday morning, after a snowy night, leaving about 8" on the ground. We left early, allowing ourselves extra time, finding out the roads were in great shape and there were barley any cars making the morning commute. We were 15 minutes early - which gave Henry tons of time to play with all the germ filled toys in the waiting area.

Once we were escorted into our room - all hell broke loose. Henry heard a little baby wailing and then he lost it. He had a death grip around my neck and screamed bloody murder while I undressed him so he could weighed and measured. He kept pointing to the door and waving to the nurse like "leave, would ya!?". When she left, he settled down. But when Dr. P walked in, it started all over again. We had to do the entire examination with me holding him. Am I a bad mom, because I found this pretty amusing! Once Dr. P left, he settled again and helped me fill out my paper work, but scribbling all over it. Then, the nurse came in, with his shot - lovely. You can guess what happens.

After his shot and once the nurse left Henry settled, we read some books and waited to talk to Dr. P. We got to go in his office which is filled with toys, books, stuffed animals and pictures of Henry's buddy, Chase. Dr. P watched Henry play, asked me and him questions about what he's up to these days. We spent some time talking about Henry not being a very big talker, yet. He says a few words - like "up", "that", "zzzzzz" (Dr. P said this is a word, so I am counting it!), "dot" and an occasional "da da". Everything else he signs - all made up signs, of course. But he communicates, just not using words. Dr. P didn't seem overly concerned - I thought for sure we'd be walking out with firm instructions to go see a therapist, that this was very very bad. But, after his observation, he said the kid is smart, he listens, he is communicating and should be talking soon. (Of course, he said if there isn't a change by mid-March, to call him.). So, I'm not going to worry about it - just let nature run its course. Because I know when he does start talking, I'll yearn for the days of silence.

Measurements:
Height: 33.25" (50%) - first time in the 50%!!!
Weight: 25.2 lbs (27%)

1 comment:

Christina said...

Yay for Henry! That is great news!! Soon he'll be talking constantly, just wait. Cute little bugger! :)