
My little baby turned into a little boy right before my eyes. When he was just a baby, I saw other two year olds and couldn't even imagine Henry ever turning 2 -- it just seemed so far away. But, in the blink of eye, it came and it went. Here I am, nearly one month past Henry's 2nd birthday, finally writing about it (avoidance?). It was not forgotten, it was a week full of wonderful family celebration. I found myself sitting, enjoying the company of my family, wishing I could freeze the scene and not let it pass. But knowing, I couldn't, so trying to figure out how to remember the sweet little pieces so I won't forget them in the years to come. I likely will and that scares me. My little baby is now a little boy. And he is so awesome - and so happy. I couldn't be more proud of the boy he is turning out to be. He makes me laugh all the time (he also makes me scream, sometimes (a lot), let's be honest, he's two!). I knew having a child would be amazing, but I didn't know it would be this amazing - if I could just figure out how to slow down the clock and remember to live in each and every moment because in a another blink of an eye, he'll be going to college.
In the couple of months before Henry turned two, there were big changes - there were many of mornings I would wake up, and while sipping coffee and watching him play thinking to myself, "he looks so different than he did yesterday!". Brian and I are constantly making comments about his little personality - so loud and boisterous around those he's closest too, but so shy and reserved for those he is not as familiar. His opinion about everything grows stronger by the day - if I would just give him what he wants, all the time, we wouldn't have any conflict or temper tantrums. Sometimes I do give in, because I just can't muster the energy to deal, but I also know I am not doing him any favors for the future - we all know life doesn't give you what you want all the time and I don't want to raise my kid(s) to think it does (but god, he's spoiled anyway). So, when I do have the patients (energy?) I have to say "no" to cookies for breakfast (so he can eat the center filling out and leave the hard, chocolate shell laying on the floor) or to watching Elmo or Mickey Mouse around-the-clock, to insisting I brush his teeth, to eating his vegetables, etc., etc., etc.
His vocabulary grows by the day - still not were it should be, but not to the point of deficiency were we are worried. There is so much to worry about, and with so much promise, this is not a battle I am choosing. He is so smart in so many ways. His energy is beyond me and why can't I have half of it - it amazes me how this kid keeps going and going and going - I think he'd forget to nap, if we didn't remind him and soothe him into a quite slumber. (Thank goodness for those naps - for both mommy and the weekday sitter!)
It has been an incredible two years. I am excited to see the man he becomes, but petrified to loose my little boy.
Laying with Mi-maw after a long day of celebrating birthday #2. The quilt was Henry's birthday gift from grandma - her very first quilt, made by hand and with lots and lots of love. Amazing!








1 comment:
Such great pictures!! He really is such a wonderful little boy, and he has a wonderful mommy!
And I love the Mickey cake! It looks awesome (and delicious)! :)
Post a Comment