I'm sure this week only marks the beginning of what's to come… worrying! The past few days I had not been feeling the baby move. This just didn't sit right with me. Especially since in previous weeks the baby had been moving non-stop and we even felt s/he from the outside! I would lie for extended periods of time and just wait to feel something… and then nothing. Once or twice a day, I'd get an itty-bitty flutter, but quickly convinced myself it wasn't the baby, but something else. Then this weekend I had some occasional painful and achy cramping, it wasn't consistent, but it did put me into a slight panic and consumed my every thought. So, yesterday morning I called my doctor. While they assured me everything was probably OK, they had me come in to check. I met with the mid-wife, Katie, who was so wonderful. She could have easily told me I was overreacting. But instead, she said she would have been upset with me if I hadn't called. She said taking 5 minutes out of her schedule to put my mind at ease is one of the best parts of her job. She quickly pulled out her "Doppler" (which costs $6,800. Yes, I asked, because I am seriously considering getting one. It's cheaper than an ultra sound machine) and we listened to my baby's heart beat. She said s/he sounded perfect and that I just may not be feeling the baby as much because s/he is resting behind the placenta. Whew. What a relief, of course, accompanied by tears!
Lesson learned, I'll try to not freak myself out going forward, but I make no guarantees. In addition, I know have a better understanding of the kind of kid I'm going to have, because once we left the doctor's office, s/he didn't stop moving for the rest of the day! Seriously!? *#$@^#?!
Baby G and I are off to Florida on Saturday to spend Christmas with my folks. We are so excited and we'll provide some pictures upon our return.
21 Week (and 3 days) belly shot!

Have a very Merry Christmas!
Cravings: Key Lime Pie, Jelly Belly jelly beans, citrus fruits, water (yes, water!)
Click
here for the 21 Week baby update courtesy of BabyCenter.com
3 comments:
Thank goodness the baby is ok! I'll pass on a tip b/c I had the same thing happen several times while pregnant with Kenslee... drink a cup of orange juice, then wait 30 minutes. The baby should begin kicking/moving/bouncing around pretty quickly. It worked everytime I realized I hadn't felt her move for a few hours. Enjoy your holiday and time with your family!!!
You're right, it is just the start. Brady would move a lot some days and then hardly at all others. I worried about it until the day I delivered him. Then I had a bunch of new stuff to worry about!!
I'm glad everything is ok and never hesitate to call your doctor's. That's what they are there for! Can't wait to see you soon.
You girls are the best, thanks for letting me know I'm NOT crazy! :)
Post a Comment