Monday, March 2, 2009

32 Weeks

The weeks seem to be going faster and faster. Is that a good thing....? While I am excited and thrilled to have our little one, I am not quite yet ready for him/her to arrive (obviously s/he wouldn't be fully cooked either!!). Brian and I are enjoying these last few weeks of "life without baby" and doing the things we enjoy - which basically consist of nothing - doing nothing because we don't have to do anything. We know, in a few short weeks, this will change dramatically. We will now longer have a say in what we do and don't do. It will all be governed by this little life growing inside of me. Don't get me wrong - we are sooo excited and trying so hard not to wish this time away. We know these next few weeks will fly by and before we know it, the baby will be celebrating his/her first birthday, then we'll be car shopping for his/her 16th birthday, etc. etc. I am trying to slow things down by appreciating each and every day of this experience in the present - even if I feel fatter by the day, I can't take a full breath, my hips kill at night, etc. etc. I love every second of it.

Yesterday we had our full-day child birthing class. Our instructor was a lovely woman, Mary, who has been working at the hospital for 40 years. Not because she has to, but because she has an incredible passion for the birthing process and can't give this passion up - even if her husband insists on her retirement. She does it all for "fun". We watched several videos on the birthing process (Brian did not pass out!), C-sections, epidurals, car seat installation, etc. She taught us some breathing techniques and described in detail what to expect - - although, she caveatted (sp?) every other sentence with "labor is different for everyone". Bottom line, she encouraged us to learn how to "release the tension" and "breathe through the pain". We even had to lay on the floor and listen to a video of some renowned Doula talk about "letting go of each and every part of your body" - seriously, she went through every body part, starting with our toes. I thought Brian was going to die, he mumbled the whole time saying "Do they have any idea how much pain you are going to be in. If I touch you and tell you to 'release your toes', you will knock me out!" Needless to say, Brian and I were the couple that couldn't stop giggling in class. When we had to practice these so called "breathing techniques" I couldn't look at him, because every time I did, I would burst out laughing and tears would pour down my face. It seemed so silly - but for some reason, I know we will both be thanking Mary once labor strikes.


On Wednesday we have our next 4 week check-up and ultrasound. And on Thursday my folks are coming in for a long weekend visit and my PA baby shower. I am so excited to see them (and for my shower!!)! I can't help but think that their next visit will be for the arrival of the baby! Yikes! Hopefully they don't have anything planned because I have a long list of things that I need them to do. ;)


32 week belly shot


On a sad note, Saturday night, my great Aunt Audrey passed away. Many of you knew her and were graced by her love for life, people, (always putting you first) and of course, making sure you were fed well. Some of you may not of known her but she was the "grandma" you always wanted. You may also be familiar with some of her "specialties" that she passed down including her "sin cake" and "carrot cake" that I have made on several occasions. She was like a second grandmother to me. And while I wanted nothing more than for her to meet our baby this summer, I had to let go of my selfish reasons to keep her here and remind myself that she is now in a better place and will no longer suffer. She will be missed dearly. I will never forget her and the memories we shared and will be certain that our little one will know all about her and how amazing of a person she was. Luckily, she was at my shower last month in St. Louis and Nikki took this fantastic picture of her - always smiling:



And on Friday night, we lost the Garlits' family mascot, Rusty, the "king of the castle", "Ferdinand", "Stinky".... the list of nicknames goes on and on. Rusty was my brother-in-law, Dale's, dog of 13 years. He found him by a dumpster at the shore and they have been best of friends ever since. Rusty was the most loyal dog any owner could hope for and brought a ton of joy to our family. He will be greatly missed, but lived a long, full, and happy life. (He may have even lived a better life than many humans!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke,
I too was sorry to hear about Aunt Audrey. She was a sweet lady. I thought about making sin cake in her honor. Best wishes to your family.
Love,
Angie