Thursday, November 26, 2009

Solids


Once you turned 7 months, I was anxious to introduce you to new foods. I went to the store and bought every flavor of the "puffs", some jarred meats, teething cookies, fruits and veggies I puree at home, etc. etc. I was so excited, I want to give you everything at once (I didn't.) I quickly realized you would need some time to warm up to these new things. I gave you a few "puffs" broken into small pieces. You spit these out right away. You had no idea what to do with something hard in your mouth. You get better each day. Now you are learning to chew with your gums. Most of it ends up on the floor, but it's still good practice trying to get the food in your fingers and into your mouth.
You love love love meat (chicken and turkey). And its the jarred meat, too. I felt bad giving this too you. It's just gross. I want you to eat the meat we eat for dinner, but I just don't think you are ready for it yet. If anything is too chunky, you choke and gag until you barf. It's gross and it scares the snot out of me. So, we slowed down a little bit. You're still mostly on pureed solids (stage #2).

Every once in a while I'll give you a teething cookie. You think you died and went to heaven. You take it in and out of your mouth, stare at it, suck on it, put in down, pick it up and whatever else you can do. You make a holy mess with it too. And then it dries into this nasty, hard coating all over you, your clothes and anything else you touched. I don't think you'll be getting these too often.
You love your sippy cup. You only get water, but you reach for this like you reach for your binkie. Introducing the cup to you a couple months ago turned out to be a great idea. I feel like this give you a little independence - when you're thirty you grab your cup and take a drink!

No comments: