Monday, October 13, 2008

Week 12

The end of this week marks the end of our first trimester! While I want to say it went by fast, and it did, kind of, I also could not wait for it to be over. No, I wasn’t sick or miserable by any stretch of the imagination. And while I did (and do!) enjoy the fact that I am carrying our baby, it was hard to relax, let-go, and enjoy the ride. There's just entirely too much to worry about in those first critical weeks.

So, now that I'm (almost) over that hump, I should be able to just enjoy the ride, right?! Well, I should have saw this coming, but that isn't entirely the case either. I do feel like I am in the clear, but there's still that "devil" on my shoulder warning me not to get too excited. Anyone know how to kill a devil? I think he'll will leave when I start to feel the baby. The weekly ultrasounds really put my mind at ease, but since I don't get one of them for 6 weeks, what's a girl to do?!

Last week I had my first OB appointment. It went well, nothing really to write home about. I have to get more blood work, go in for some screenings, I guess the normal things, normal pregnant women do. But my favorite part of the appointment - hearing the heart beat! She used a "Doppler", kind of like a GPS devise with a probe on the end, and rubbed it on my stomach to hear the baby's heart beat. As far as I'm concerned, that's just as good as an ultrasound. I don't need to see the baby, just hearing s/he is all I need. Of course, I came home and asked Brian if we could get one! If a huge ultra sound machine costs $35,000, the Doppler can't be that much! (Yes, at one of our appointments, Brian asked our doctor when he asked if we had any other questions, how much they go for. I don't think that was the type of questions the doctor was looking for. But leave it to my husband to figure out the overhead costs of a business operation!)

And while I mentioned I haven't been getting sick, I did loose my marbles for a the first time on Saturday. Brian and I feasted to some delicious homemade Cinnabons for breakfast, but about 2 hours later they all came back up. I have never thrown up so much before, it just wouldn't stop coming out! As soon as I thought it was over, more would show up. It was almost funny, but the breaks didn't last long enough for me to laugh at myself. I felt fine afterward, just tired, so I spent the rest of the day on the couch. Is it possible to go your whole first trimester without being sick and getting sick in your second? Or did I have a bad egg roll and Friday night's surprise birthday party?

Enjoy the 12 week belly shot. And thanks to all of you who wrote me last week with "OMG, I can't believe how big you are already! I mean, not big like fat, but you are definitely showing!" I hope you meant the "not fat" part. ;)

P.S. For the record, I am shocked by the number of people telling us not to find out the babies sex - I'd say it's over half of the people I talk to. In some instances, I don't even have to mention it. They, of couse, provide their opinion, by saying "You aren't going to find out are you?!"
As for what we are going to do, we just don't know yet. We flip-flog on a daily basis.

No comments: