Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy 5 month birthday, Henry

Time is flying - I cannot believe you turned 5 months today. It feels like yesterday we welcomed you into the world. I can remember every detail and emotion of the day and I hope I never forget. But, I'm having a hard time remembering every detail of every day we have spent together since then. I don't want to forget a second of it- I've cherished each and every moment and I wish I could just stop the clock for a little while. I am amazed by how much you change each and every day. Sometimes, when I look at you I stop in my tracks at what I see - instead of a little baby I see a little boy. But then you scream at night and can't communicate what's bothering you and I am quickly reminded of how small and helpless you really are. I don't mind though, I love taking care of you and making things all better.

We keep busy each and everyday - whether we lounge around the house and listen to music, sing and dance, watch Hi-5 and Baby Einstein, read books, go on a walk, play with your toys and animals or attend a play date with your friends Chase and Sam or run errands. We also joined a music class that we attend on Wednesday mornings. Last week was your first class and you were in awe. You sat and starred at Ms. Marylin and all the kids that ran around and danced (you are the youngest in the class by a few months). You made it to the last song (about 45 minutes) then you feel asleep in my arms. You were too cute for words. Regardless what we do, you are an absolute blast to hang out with. You reach for everything that we pass - the door, a cord, faces, the cabinet knobs, things in the aisle at stores... whatever is in your reach. I love watching you explore. It's so neat to watch you take in everything. I have to remind my self not to rush you - - how awesome is it that in most instances it is your very first time doing something, seeing something or hearing something. And I was with you when you experienced it.
This month I also got to introduce you to my bible study group... a group of wonderful women that I started meeting with on a weekly basis this winter. Initially, I just joined the group to take a 10 week course, Alpha. But I felt so welcomed by everyone and really enjoyed being around all of them.. luckily, they invited me to stay! Since I've had you and with every one's crazy summer scheduled we haven't been able to get together, until last week. You were the hit of the party, but we only got to stay for 30 minutes so you could get to bed! You made sure everyone knew you were tired, because you fussed for most of the visit. It was also pretty funny to hear every one's reaction to my new "figure" (that I am still trying to work on!) but I guess if you only ever knew me pregnant - which these woman only did - then I would look much "lighter"! But, mom still has many more pounds to go!

We are still working on your sleep training. You've been doing quite well, lately. You have your nights, like tonight, when you cried for 15 minutes after I put you down, but then you drift off to sleep. But you also have nights like last night, when I put you down and you don't wake up until 6:00 AM. I was especially proud of you last night because after I put you down, I had to leave you with your Grandma and Grandpa Garlits to attend your "Unlce" Andrew's (Chase's dad) surprise 30th birthday party. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I didn't want you to wake up and me not be there. And I didn't want any changes in your "training" because I knew I'd pay for it the next few nights. But, you held strong and stayed asleep. Thank you. I have also started to put you in your crib for nap time, too. [Most days, at least. Today, I slept with you for two of them, because I just couldn't put you down. And it was your birthday and you deserved special treatment ;) ] Unfortunately, you only nap for 30 minutes at a time (typically) but you still nap about 4 times a day (after every two hours of being awake). We need to work on making these little nap-lets a bit longer and working to 2 or 3 good ones per day. But, you'll get there when your ready, this I know.
Another big development this month was planning for my return to work. In a few short weeks, I will be returning to work. Luckily, I work from home a majority of the time so I can still be involved in the day-to-day and steal kisses when I can. We extended an offer to a nanny, Nancy, and she enthusiastically excepted. She's a middle-aged woman, mother of one son, and sadly, recently widowed. She kind of feel into our lap - looking for work at grandma's daycare center and fit the mold of the type of person we were looking for to spend the days with you while I work. She said she loves to sing and dance and go on walks... all the things you enjoy doing, too. I think you guys will get along great, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't kill me to think that someone else will get to spend their days doing these things with you. But like cousin Angie said, I am your Mommy and no one can change that.
All-in-all, the past 5 months have been the best of my life. I'll cherish them forever and while I hate how fast time is going, I am so very much looking forward to the future and continuing to watch you grow into a young man. Always know that I (and your daddy) love you so very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're such a good mommy.
Angie

Courtney Edelstein said...

so sweet!! you are a wonderful mommy, and no one will ever fill your shoes in his eyes!!!! :)