Monday, February 22, 2010

10 Months


Another birthday... another blink of an eye. But it's all good, because you are just totally awesome. Not that you weren't awesome before, but it's a different awesome now. You are like a little person now, you get things, you know what you want, you can communicate (although, without words), you laugh at my jokes and so much more. You are a ton of fun - but you keep me on my toes!

For a kid that can't quite walk (not yet, but pretty soon, I think) you are all over the place. You crawl at warp speed, you climb steps, you crawl up on the couches and do head-dives off , you run behind your walker, you climb the step stool and hang from your high-chair tray (yes, I found you like this one day - and I had only turned away for 4.3 seconds!). I have real heart attacks on a daily basis. But once I discover you are safe and sound, I can't help but laugh and be totally amazed at how independent and curious you are. I can only imagine what you will like when you start to walk!

We installed gates this month given you heightened sense of curiosity. I was tired of leaving the room for 3 seconds and finding you 8 stairs up to the second floor - turning around and laughing at me. I know you're thinking, "Yeah, mom, look at me, I can climb stairs in record speed! " So, the stair climbing has stopped, but now you climb up the outside of the stairs - and you stand there, holding on with one arm, dancing and talking to yourself. Every so often your foot slips and grab on for dear life, like you were about ready to plunge off the Grand Canyon. I laugh at you, but no matter how scared you are, or how many times I remove you from said place and tell you, "no!", you go back for more.

You aren't forming any words, yet. But you are very talkative... ma-ma-ma, ba-ba-ba, da-da-da and other combos. And you squeal in delight on a regular basis. You are such a happy, happy baby. Even though you aren't talking, I can tell your mind is processing. When I ask you questions, I almost hear you think. I can lay out your animal cards and ask you were certain animals are and you find them! At first, I thought this was a fluke, but you've done it over and over again. I also lay out books on different topics: pumpkins, firetrucks, ducks, dogs, Elmo; and ask you to identify each - and you do it, every time (or until you get bored of that game)! when I showed your dad he said, "It's official, he's smarter than Spinner!" You are also blowing kisses (kind of - this is more of a hand to the mouth, then you put your fingers in your mouth), you wave hi and goodbye (when you feel like it); you give kisses - not to people, but to all your toys, book characters and stuffed animals, you do "so big" really well now, you clap - all the time, and you are starting to sign ("all done" and "more"). You are progressing quite nicely, son.

You love music. You dance whenever you hear it - from the TV, the radio, your toys. And you love to read - you don't exactly sit still when I read to you - but you do listen. Because I'll ask you certain things, like "where is Elmo's rattle?" and you'll go to your toy box and get our your rattle and shake it, like Elmo does in the book. When you are playing, you always go to your books - you stare at the cover, turn the pages, flip it open and closed. It's like you reading to yourself. I want to talk to you during these times and do it for you - but I let you be and watch you in awe. You are becoming such a big boy, right before my eyes. (You LOVE Elmo, by the way!)

You also love your "brother", Spinner. Not sure he feels the same about you, yet, but he will, in do time. He wants to be your buddy, but you're still a little to small for his form of play. But he's gentle. He adores you during meal time - and you've learned how to keep him close to your highchair, by feeding him every other bite, from the same hand you feed yourself with. It grosses me out beyond belief, but you love it. So, I turn a blind eye.

You were sick for the entire month of February... started with congestion and a cough - then turned into a runny nose with a cough. I'm writing this in March and you still have it. In fact, I am certain you caught cold #2 before getting over cold #1. But you're a real trooper. Mom babied you while you had the brunt of it - with a fever, then she left you to fend for yourself. I needed my sleep, son. And I know you only wanted to be held, while you slept. And I just couldn't maintain that schedule. After a couple nights of crying, you got the idea. And you're back to my 11 hours/night sleeper ... most of the time....

Gosh, there's so much more.... so much more I want to tell you. I don't want to forget a thing. But I will forget somethings. But I'll never forget how much I love you and adore you.

xoxoxo Mommy
















No comments: